My Blog List

Friday, March 28, 2014

Organization of my Theme Park


To organize my theme park, I will apply the model of McDonaldization. To be honest, this is not the first time I heard about the concept of McDonaldization. I had the first impression of it in Introduction to Tourism class last year. But back then, I didn't really understand what it was. I thought it was the domination of McDonald all over the world, and every single corner of the globe has been covered by the existence of fast food restaurants. Now, I think I have understood what is McDonaldization. It is not only about junk food which affects people's eating pattern. But McDonaldization can be anything, and it even can be applied for a culture or a society. There are four components of McDonaldization which are: efficiency, quantification, predictability, and control.With these four characteristics, McDonaldization is happening all around us as a global phenomenon.
Applied Mcdonaldization, my theme park will be fully equiped with the most innovative technology to control every operation process. There will be cameras at any entrance of the theme park to supervise employees as well as visitors of the park. Managers can easily know how theme park is running through the CCTV system. The number of employees in the park is going to be reduced as many as possible due to the implementation of high technology. Almost every part of the theme park is controlled by machines and computer, so human are only needed for mainternance staff. The tasks  in the theme park are highly repetitive and predictable. Therefore, the amount of work is less than usual and employees are able to perform the tasks faster, so there will be a larger number of visitors who have the chance to try a ride in the theme park.
However, I have some thoughts about De-McDonaldization. There are some traditional values and special characteristics that we need to reserve, and if we apply McDonaldization for everything, the difference will be eleminated. We will only focus on quantity instead of quality, predictability instead of unpredictability, which is the nature of service industry. If so, somehow McDonaldization is contributing to Globalization and one day, every company, society or even political system will all be the same. Therefore, I think we should not only consider the positive sides of McDonaldization but also its negative effects.


No comments:

Post a Comment